Walk This Way
Walking is a great way to enjoy the fresh air and save a car trip at the same time. But before you head out on foot, there are important safety tips to remember:
Use crosswalks and cross safely:
- Always cross at an intersection and preferably in a crosswalk.
- Use the crosswalk signals.
- Wait for the walk signal to cross the street safely.
- Look in front and behind, as well as both ways when crossing the street.
- Don’t start walking if you see a flashing hand signal.
- Make eye contact with drivers to be sure they see you.
- Avoid wearing headphones or using your phone when crossing the street.
- Be aware of turning vehicles.
- Do not cross mid-block or between parked cars.
- Always hold your child’s hand and never allow a child under 10 to cross the street alone.
Make sure drivers can see you:
- Avoid walking in traffic where there are no sidewalks or crosswalks.
- If you have to walk on a road without sidewalks, walk facing traffic.
- Never walk behind a vehicle that is backing up.
- Wear bright colors or reflective clothing if walking at night. Carry a flashlight.