Bicycle riding is fun, healthy, and a great way to get around. But it’s important to remember that bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists. We can make bicycling safer for all by observing the following safety tips:
Check your safety gear:
- Wear a snugly fitting helmet.
- Be sure to be seen by wearing bright colors
and reflective clothing.
- Use lights and reflectors at night.
Observe the rules of the road:
- Slow down and yield to pedestrians.
- Cross at marked crosswalks and walk your bike
across the crosswalk.
- Obey traffic signs and signals.
- When riding as a group, ride single file.
- Ride with traffic.
- Make your turns from the turn lanes.
- Use hand signals when you are stopping or turning.
- Respect the right-of-way of others.
Use common sense:
- Don't wear headphones while riding.
- Use bike lanes or ride near the right curb when possible.
- Stop and look all ways before crossing.
- Be aware of cars and pedestrians.